Skincare in the “olden days” was made up of some pretty toxic stuff: lots of chemicals with unpronounceable names, made with environmentally-damaging manufacturing processes. Remember in the original Batman, when Jack Nicholson’s character falls into a vat of acid, only to emerge as The Joker? Well the chances are good that that was a big ol’ tub of old-school skincare product. The turn towards more natural products makes sense. After all, nature makes the best stuff! That’s certainly the case for seaweed. As a skincare ingredient, it’s a superstar, with loads of benefits. Here’s a breakdown of five of the most notable.
1. Natural seaweed has anti-bacterial properties. It can draw out impurities in the skin, and help control oil levels. That means that natural seaweed can be a purifying and detoxifying treatment for those with acne-prone or oily skin. With cleaner pores, your skin can better absorb the wide range of nutrients from the seaweed.
2. Natural seaweed provides significant anti-aging effects. It’s loaded with amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals that promote skin healing and rejuvenation. Ever notice that Japanese people often have youthful, beautiful complexions? Much of the traditional Japanese diet, (as well as their skincare), uses seaweed. It also increases blood flow to the surface of your skin, which will leave it looking more supple, radiant, smooth and youthful.
3. Natural seaweed can treat chronic dry skin. Using a product that contains natural seaweed on a regular basis can increase skin hydration, and promote a glowing, healthy-looking complexion. Natural seaweed contains easily-absorbable lipids, minerals, proteins and vitamins that will deeply moisturizes the skin. This assists your skin to maintain firmness and hydration.
4. Natural seaweed can help improve your skin tone. It has relatively high concentrations of minerals like magnesium, fluorine, and calcium, which can help you achieve (and maintain) a radiant complexion. These minerals can also help maintain the skin’s natural moisture balance – not too oily, not too dry, but just right (Goldilocks would approve!)
5. Natural seaweed can reduce inflammation. Inflammation is the enemy of a healthy, glowing complexion, and has a variety of causes including UV rays and pollution. Thankfully, natural seaweed is high in B vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12, which are useful to protect the surface of the skin and reduce inflammation. That means you’ll also find natural seaweed as an ingredient in many skincare products that are formulated to reduce irritation and redness, (for example, products for rosacea or eczema treatment).
Natural seaweed is an excellent ingredient for many types of skincare products. It’s natural, and has many valuable benefits as noted above. If you want a smooth, healthy, vibrant complexion, make sure you look for natural seaweed on ingredient lists.